Be a Safecaster.
We enable and encourage independence and individual initiative. We rely on volunteers to help in the ways highlighted below but if you think you have an other relevant skill to offer, let us know. Also, It’s important that volunteers work well with other team members, supporting each others efforts and if/when there are deadlines, have the ability to meet them.
Collect Data (as often as possible)
Represent Safecast and the ideals illustrated in The Safecast Code
Future-proof: Help ensure data remains independent and complete
Teach and encourage best practices for useful data
Etc.: Our needs change from time to time, so if you think you have a relevant skill to offer, please get in touch.
Volunteer? Start here.
As a largely decentralized, collaborative effort our team members are located all over the world. For all interested potential volunteers, the first thing you should do is join the Safecast Discussion List and introduce yourself. We also use GitHub for dev/web version control and Slack for internal team communications.
We use GitHub for dev/web version control and have a public list if issues and requests. Feel free to clone and work on anything.
In any situation, the best thing to do is just drop us a line and let us know that you are interested in helping.
- Front end Wordpress
- Devs - Greenfield - Comfortable building & deploying a custom DB-backed webapps (Java, Rails, Python, even JS/Node etc is fine)
- Devs - Ruby, especially Rails to assist with our current API
- Devs - sql/postgresql/postgis - especially familiarity with large “big-ish data” (100M+) records operations.
- Devs - Spark or hive experience look at how we could switch our data practices to more real “big data” techniques to save money/cycles
- AWS System Administration / DevOps
- Translation (various languages)
Safecast Internships are available
We work with a number of different organizations to provide internship opportunities at our office in Tokyo. Please contact us for more details on these programs.
* When you contribute to Safecast by participating in an event OR submitting content or information to a webpage OR submitting a pull request, testing or bug reporting OR sending data from a Safecast device then you license all of your contribution to Safecast and to all the world under these licenses. Safecast will be attributed as the source.